COVID-19 Updates

UPDATED: March 27, 2020

2020 Play It Again Sports Spring Classic Tournament Canceled

It’s unfortunate to have to announce that we will be having to cancel the 2020 Play It Again Sports Spring Classic.  With the country being in so much uncertainty with the Coronavirus it is better to be safe at this time.  With this being said, we plan to make this tournament up in the near future.  As the country gets a better hold on this pandemic we will know more about when we plan to reschedule the tournament.  Thank you for all of your support and we pray that everyone stays safe during these uncertain times. 

Statewide ASA Soccer Events Canceled, Update from Executive Director

All — I just wanted to touch base with you to update everyone with respect to where things stand on the status of our suspension of soccer-related activities. Right now, we are continuing to monitor the situation and are maintaining the suspension through March 29. However, in light of Governor Hutchinson’s announcement this afternoon that Arkansas now has 33 presumed positives, up from 22 cases yesterday, it is conceivable that the March 29 date may be extended. We do not need to make that decision at this time, though, and will continue to monitor things over the coming days to see what information is learned in the near future to better determine the best course of action moving forward that keeps everyone’s health and safety in the forefront for those decisions.

Along those lines, USYS has advised us that they are taking a similar “wait and see” approach for a few days and are planning for their events to proceed as scheduled, including Regional events in Dallas and South Carolina. We are doing likewise with respect to our recreational and State Championship events in May.

With respect to recreational competition (both in-house and CARL), if a further suspension is warranted, it is possible that we would double up weekends with games and/or extend the season into the summer. As we see how this virus unfolds in the coming days, we will be more equipped to make more educated decisions on these issues. Again, this is a very fluid situation, but we are closely monitoring things from multiple sources so as to best be prepared to make those decisions.

In the meanwhile, I would urge your clubs and your parents to follow us on social media and check our link on our website with additional information.

On social media, we are providing updates on the impact of the coronavirus on soccer-related activities, but we are also providing individual training information, coaching education materials, and various raffles to keep everyone engaged in soccer while maintaining the governmental recommendation of social distancing. Right now through Friday evening, we have a contest for a free soccer ball and ASA shirt for simply sharing a picture or video of your player practicing his or her skills during this suspension of play.

More updates will follow, but I wanted to touch base with the clubs directly to let you know that we are continuing to monitor things and will make a more informed decision on our March 29 suspension date in the coming days.

Thank you for your support and stay well.

~ Jim
Executive Director
Arkansas Soccer Association

Joe Mack Campbell Park

Pin It on Pinterest